Special educational needs (SEN)

  • We have a policy for SEN which is updated annually
  • There is a school governor with responsibility for SEN –
  • The SENCo is the “Responsible Person” for SEN
  • We will inform you when we consider that your child has SEN, consult with you and include you in the decisions that we make.
  • We will seek your permission before referring your child to outside agencies for assessment or support
  • Depending on the degree of difficulty a child is experiencing, he/she will be placed on the SEN register as ‘School Support’ and outside agencies may be consulted if a child, despite intervention and individual support, has not made appropriate progress.
  • When a child has severe or complex needs, we may apply for and access added support through an Educational Health Care Plan, for which additional resources may be allocated to the school so that those needs can be met.

What does this mean for your child?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress, please do not wait for Parent’s evening. Just make an appointment to see the class teacher – we are always ready to listen and speak with you.

How we support children in School with special educational needs.

Having identified that your child is experiencing some difficulties, we will provide a planned intervention. This may be carried out by a Teaching Assistant, either working 1:1 with your child, or, more commonly, with the child as part of a small group. This support will be additional and different to the Quality First Teaching that is provided in all classrooms as part of the minimum mainstream core standards. Interventions may include; Social, emotional and wefare support, speech and language support, additional phonices support and phusio support. Your child will be placed on the SEN Register, a confidential document as ‘School Support’.

If a child doesn’t make appropriate progress, we will try to find out more about what is the barrier to learning. Usually this means that, with your permission, we refer your child to the relevant outside agency. This outside agency support is assessed throgh the Local Inclusion Forum Team (LIFT) which meets termly.  An assessment may be carried out and we may be given advice on how to move forward.

Rarely, in about 2% of cases, a child has severe and complex difficulties which challenge the school’s ability to meet those needs from within its budget. In that case, a request for an ‘Educational Health Care Plan’ is made to the Local Education Authority. This request can be made by a parent, or by school with the consent of the parent.

If the LEA decides that there are grounds to proceed, then a range of assessments will be carried out – by other agencies. These reports are examined by a panel and a decision is made on whether their criteria for issuing an ‘Educational Health Care Plan’ have been met. If so, then the LEA will write the EHC plan which will detail the nature and extent of the difficulties, the objectives for that child, and the resources needed to meet them. This  generally identifies the need for a Learning Support Assistant (LSA) to support that child for part of the school day.

The EHC plans are reviewed annually. Updated reports are sought from all relevant parties to ensure that the provision remains appropriate.